Garmin GPs device is beneficial in finding the right direction while driving or visiting some unknown place. This device comes handy if you are a passionate traveler. The GPS (Global Positioning System) is a program based on Satellite navigation composed of at least 24 satellites. The device works in every season, weather, and every part of the world and for 24 hours a day. You don’t need to pay any subscription charges and installation fees. The device is very user-friendly and comes with advanced features that help you to find the right direction everywhere. However, some people have asked us about how to use Garmin GPS.
We understand that using a technical device can be a little difficult if you are new to the device. That’s why we have created this extensive guide describing everything about how you can use your Garmin device without any problem. In case you are not new to the Garmin device and facing problems in using this device, then you can reset your device to resolve the problem. If you don’t know how to reset Garmin GPS, then check out our guide on this topic.
Steps you need to follow to use Garmin device
Check out the step by step process to install your Garmin device and using your Garmin device. In this guide, we are assuming that you have a Garmin Nuvi. In case you have any other Garmin device, the process is largely the same.
Step 1: Install the device on your automobile
- Clean the area on your vehicle where you want to install the device. You can use a lint-free cloth to clean the area thoroughly.
- After that, you need to remove the plastic cover of the suction cup. Attach the suction cup to the cleaned area.
- Find the power connector available on the right side of the cradle and plug the car power cable. The arm of the suction cup will hold the cradle.
- Now, you need to return the lever back on the cleaned area where you are placing the device.
- Tilt the Garmin Nuvi back until it fits in the perfect position.
- Check that if the device will work properly from that position. Plug-in the power cable of the Garmin device into the vehicle’s power source outlet. The Garmin device will turn on when the vehicle is on start mode.
Step 2: Garmin device configuration
- Turn on your GPS device by sliding the on-screen key to the left side.
- After that, you need to follow the on-screen instruction to finish the Garmin device configuration.
Step 3: Get Sattelite Signals
- If you are an area with tall building structures and not getting the satellite signals, then start driving and reach an open area.
- After reaching an open area, open the GPS tool on your Garmin.
- Satellite signals may take a few minutes.
- If you see one green bar on the Garmin screen, the device has got the satellite signals. Now, you can select the desired destination and go to the place.
Step 4: Explore and use the Garmin Nuvi
You will find some important information on the screen of your Garmin Nuvi device.
- You can see the satellite signal strength on the upper left side of your Garmin device screen.
- Check the Bluetooth status on the screen that you can use to share data with other devices.
- Check the battery status on the screen; It will be helpful if you charge the device before going out.
- Select a destination by tapping on the “where to” icon on the screen.
- You can also watch the time on the Garmin screen.
- Tap on the map to view the destination route.
- Tap on the phone icon to make a call when connected with a compatible mobile phone.
- You can increase the volume by tapping on the speaker icon on the Garmin screen.
- You can use the media players, help, and settings from the “Tool” section.
Step 5: Setting and Registering the Device
You can register and do settings on your Garmin device by following the three simple steps mentioned below.
- Garmin Registration:
Use Garmin Express or myDashboard software to register your device. Download the updated software and maps and make your own navigation voices and vehicle logo as well. If you have a Nuvi 50 device, then use myDashboard, and in the case of Nuvi2597 LMT and Nuvi52 LM, you need to use the Garmin Express.
To register your device, connect the Garmin device with your computer by using a USB cable. Then start the registration process on your Garmin device.
- Save Important Locations:
Tap on the “where to” icon and hit “Go home” that looks like three horizontal lines and select “Set home location” to save the home location on your Garmin device. You can use your current location or enter a location to set your home location. You can also add locations that you frequently visit on your device.
- Navigation preferences:
You can also set some preferences for routes to save the driving time. If you have a Nuvi 2597LMT, then navigate to the calculation mode via directions from settings. In the case of Nuvi 52LM and Nuvi 50LM, go to route preference via directions from settings. Then tap on faster time to save the driving time and make other necessary settings.
That’s it, folks! It was the complete guide from our side on how to use Garmin GPS. We hope you find the mentioned information helpful and impressive. Moreover, stay tuned to get more tutorials and guide on Garmin GPS troubleshooting.